CORBIN, Ky (WYMT) - UPDATE 12:30 p.m.
Officials with the Corbin Police Department confirm that they have arrested a juvenile in connection with the bomb threat at Corbin High School on Wednesday.
They released the following information on their facebook page:
The Corbin Police Department reports making an arrest involving the Fake bomb threat at Corbin High School on September 11th. The Juvenile who falsely reported the bomb threat at Corbin High School by writing on a wall that there was a bomb in the school and that the school would burn to the ground has been detained.
The threat caused all students and staff to be evacuated from the high school while it was searched with bomb dogs. Corbin Detective’s was able to determine by watching surveillance videos a selective group of juveniles that was in the area at the time the threat had been written and could have possible committed the crime. Through several interviews detective’s was able to determine the perpetrator. Officers contacted the Court designated worker for Whitley County and the District Judge and it was determined that the juvenile would be cited and released to parents and is scheduled to appear in Whitley County Juvenile Court. Detective Rusty Hedrick is continuing the investigation.
Officers: Det: Bill Rose
Police are investigating the third school-related bomb threat in Eastern Kentucky in less than one week.
Corbin Police say someone wrote the bomb threat on a bathroom stall at Corbin High school on Wednesday.
Officers say dogs cleared the scene.
There are no arrests yet.
Police say it is too early in the investigation to tell if it is related to recent threats on a Laurel County school bus and a Letcher County school.
Police say all who make these threats to schools will face felony charges and jail time.
"If we catch you doing this, we are going to prosecute you to the fullest extent of the law. I mean, it took our whole police department today just to handle this," said Major Rob Jones, Corbin Police Department.
Officials say charges related to school bomb threats carry one to five years in prison.
Officials with the Corbin Independent School District have confirmed that Corbin High School was evacuated due to a bomb threat on Wednesday.
An official with the school says the students were taken to The Corbin Arena and the proper authorities are currently in place to deal with the situation.
The students will be allowed to return to the school when it has been deemed safe by the police and school system.