FDNY: Candles caused Bronx fire that killed 3 kids

MGN Online

MGN Online

NEW YORK (AP) -
New York fire marshals say a blaze at a Bronx apartment building that killed three young brothers was started by candles after electricity was cut.

Fire officials say Friday's fire started in a second-floor apartment of a six-story building just blocks from Yankee Stadium. Five-year-old Elijah Artis, 2-year-old Jeremiah Artis and 4-month-old Michael Turner were pronounced dead at a hospital.

Police say their 25-year-old mother and her two other children, a 4-year-old girl and 4-month-old girl, are stable.

Fire marshals said Saturday the fire started in the kitchen and was accidental, but there were no smoke alarms. Con Edison says the power was cut because of unpaid bills.

The building is about 10 blocks from the site of a 2007 fire that killed 10 people, including 8 children.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WYMT CONTACT INFO 199 Black Gold Blvd. Hazard, KY 41701 606-436-5757 - switchboard 606-439-9968 - newsroom
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 229388251