A house fire on Highway 194 East in Kimper claimed the life of an elderly woman on Friday night.
A nearby neighbor named Shirley Anderson told us the victim is Linda Adkins.
Anderson says Adkins was in her 60s and had various health issues.
The neighbor says she did not realize what was going on next door until someone yelled, "Fire!"
"When we arrived on the scene, the house still had a little smoke in it," said Robbie May, a volunteer at John's Creek Volunteer Fire Department.
Johns Creek Volunteer Fire Department says this fire is classified as medium-sized.
"Inside there were some rooms damaged. I don't believe all of them were burned completely," said May.
To extinguish the flames, it took a group effort from John's Creek Volunteer Fire Department, Phelps, Kimper, and Grapevine.
"I think we all worked together good. I think we done justice for the family and the community," said Brandon Roberts, another volunteer at John's Creek Volunteer Fire Department.
The fire fighters say all of the departments worked together to create a safe scene.
"I was trying to keep most of the family back away from the scene, so we could do our job and keep them comforted during a time of need," said Roberts.
Anderson says she has lived two doors down from Adkins for nearly five years and says Adkins will be missed.
"Our thoughts and prayers are with the family during this time," said Roberts.
Fire officials say the woman was home alone during the time of the fire, and they believe a cigarette may have started the blaze.