LEXINGTON, Ky. (WKYT) - Investigators have now identified three members of a family killed in a Wednesday morning house fire in Lexington.
The fire began around 5:00 a.m. Wednesday at a home Buckingham Lane in Lexington. Investigators say smoking materials were improperly discarded in a plastic container and that started the fire. We're told the home had no working smoke detectors.
The Fayette County Coroner has identified the victims as 89-year-old Lenville Lindon, his wife 78-year-old Norma Lindon and their son 54-year-old Kenneth (Kenny) Lindon.
The family's next door neighbor, who is also a close friend, says the loss is shocking and devastating.
"They were just nice, quiet neighbors," said Wayne Rickert. "They had a lot of extended family that would come over and visit with them"
We're told all of the victims were disabled. Investigators say they tried to get out but couldn't.The flames were so powerful, firefighters say they had to use multiple hoses to put it out.
"As I got to the side door, I saw the smoke pouring out and the firemen were all over it," said Rickert. "And then I could only speculate and see what happened."
As the flames were put out and smoke rose from the roof, Rickert says it became clear. His neighbors were gone.
"You know you get to know somebody be a neighbor, coworker or even someone on the street and then you realize they are not a part of your life anymore, It's tough."
We're told a passerby saw the flames and tried to bang on the door, but got no answer.
During a search of the house, arson investigators found what officials called "improperly discarded smoking material" in a plastic trash can in the living room which was serving as a bedroom.
"It was likely a cigarette, but we can't say for sure," Lexington Fire Battalion Chief Ed Davis, said.
All three victims were disabled. Friends and family tell us, Kenny was a paraplegic following a car accident several years ago.