A community in Mingo County, West Virginia is mourning the loss of a beloved member Wednesday who was killed in a fire that destroyed her home.
Family members tell us that 65-year-old Dorothy King was sleeping in her trailer Wednesday morning when it caught fire. She didn't make it out before the flames burned her home to the ground.
"It's sad what happened. I wish they could have done something," said neighbor Ricky Canterbury. "It's just hard to deal with."
Crews came shortly after 9:30 a.m. when they got the call - but when they arrived, it was already too late.
"From our observation, it was very isolated," said assistant state fire marshal Shawn Alderman. "It could have burned undetected for some time."
All they saw were the burning remains of a lost mobile home - and with it, the only person who lived inside. Friends and family describe Dorothy as a talented seamstress, and say she had a big heart that never stopped helping others.
"She was a great woman, she really was," nephew Jason Blankenship said. "She donated all the time to people, families and organizations."
"I'd say she was one of the best neighbors on the hollow," Canterbury added.
Officials weren't able to find the cause of the spark, but they said people living in trailers need to be particularly careful about fire.
"Occupants move their stuff in, which contributes to the fuel load," Alderman said. "In an average of 7 to 10 minutes, a trailer can sustain heavy damage."
It isn't clear whether or not working smoke detectors were in the trailer, but officials say they are a must for every home - especially if they are isolated.