Fire spreads from fireplace, guts home

Firefighters spent the early evening hours Tuesday making sure all the flames and smoke were out at a house on New Zion Lane in Scott County, the worst of the damage being in the fireplace.

"I saw smoke coming out of the chimney, but it was also going down toward the ground which didn't look right," says neighbor Ray Relford, who saw the smoke from his driveway, "when I was walking up to the house I heard the smoke detector going off, and I thought he was in there so I kicked the door down to get in there and I went in and I didn't see him in there so I figured that was my main concern."

His neighbor Doug Persley was not inside the home at the time.

"There's quite a bit of extensive damage right in the area of the fireplace. It burned long enough to burn some of the ceiling tiles up, they're completely gone. It burned down through the floor, so there's quite a bit of damage," says Scott County Fire Chief Mike Fuller, "you want to check fireplaces and check you're having swept."

Firefighters recommend annual inspections of fireplaces and chimneys before winter weather arrives.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WYMT CONTACT INFO 199 Black Gold Blvd. Hazard, KY 41701 606-436-5757 - switchboard 606-439-9968 - newsroom
Copyright © 2002-2015 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 136283393 -
Gray Television, Inc.