The mayor of Stamford, Conn., says it appears the cause of a Christmas Day blaze that killed three children and their grandparents was related to a fireplace in the home.
Mayor Michael Pavia says foul play has been ruled out. He says preliminary information shows it was just a tragic accident.
He described the cause as "fireplace-related" but could not provide more details.
New York advertising executive Madonna Badger and a male acquaintance were able to escape. Her parents, who were visiting for the holidays, and her daughters were killed.
(Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)