LEXINGTON, Ky. (WKYT) - The Wills family said they're very thankful for neighbors they only just met after lightning struck just outside their house, sparking a fire.
"We purchased this house one week ago...one week...we'd been in the home one week," said Tamera Wills.
As storms rolled through Corbin Sunday evening, the family was taking to opportunity to relax.
"All of a sudden, we just heard this big boom and the house just kind of went 'whoosh' and there was a flash of light through the house. As I was stood there trying to gather my thoughts, I heard a bunch of thumping and it was my son running up the stairs screaming, 'Mom! The house is on fire!'," she said.
Wills and her son ran outside.
"My whole entire yard was just shooting flames," she said.
Lightning had struck a gas line in the front yard.
"That one right there in the middle was a least 20 feet," she said.
That fire also spread to the house, destroying at least one room downstairs. They said neighbors they hadn't even met yet were out there doing what they could to take care of the family.
"It's a wild way to meet your neighbors, but you know, it's just nice to know you have a church family and neighbors that are so generous and willing to help," said Wills.
The family says, surprisingly enough, this isn't their first encounter with lightning. They say years ago when they lived in Illinois, lightning also a gas line near their house there.