Nearly two years later, no arrests in Southwest Virginia murder case

LEE COUNTY, Va. (WYMT/WJHL) - Nearly two years after a Southwest Virginia woman died from a gunshot to the throat, her death remains unsolved.

April 14th will mark the two year anniversary of Amy Carter's death. The 34 year-old from Lee County died inside her Jonesville home on Flannery Bridge Road.

To this day, investigators have not made any arrests in the case.

Every day that goes by without some kind of resolution is a devastating blow to Carter's still grieving mother.

"There's a murderer walking around and it's not fair," Melissa Marshall said. "For somebody to be able to take a life and not be punished for it, it's just eating me up and it's not fair."

Lee County Sheriff Gary Parsons admits it's taken a long time and he says it's even frustrating for him. However, he says the case should be resolved soon.

"Certainly, we are doing everything possible to bring this case to a successful conclusion and we have the family's concerns and thoughts in mind as we proceed and we're going to try and do the best job we can for them," Sheriff Parsons said. "I know it's been quite some time and the family certainly needs some closure on this matter and I feel like we're going to conclude this case and wrap it up very soon."

According to the sheriff, investigators do have a suspect. However, he did not want to go into detail about a possible motive. The big question from the beginning, according to the sheriff, was whether Carter's death was a suicide or murder.

"We intend to answer that question in the very near future," Sheriff Parsons said.

So why the delay? The sheriff says there have been problems with sending off evidence and getting it tested in a timely manner at the state laboratory. He also says even after getting those initial results back, extra testing was needed and the lab was backed up.

"The investigation is pretty nearly complete," Sheriff Parsons said. "There's been a lot of problems with getting laboratory analysis in."

Marshall is tired of the excuses and what she calls "broken promises." According to Marshall, she was promised it would be a good Christmas, but the holiday passed without any resolution. She says investigators and prosecutors have put off a decision on this case for months and she can't understand why. She says her daughter, who loved to help others, now needs some help of her own.

"I want something done now," Marshall said. "I just want it done. I want it over with. I'm not going to give up. I'm just not going to give up."

According to Lee County Commonwealth Attorney Shawn Hines, Carter's death "is under investigation."

Story from WJHL:

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WYMT CONTACT INFO 199 Black Gold Blvd. Hazard, KY 41701 606-436-5757 - switchboard 606-439-9968 - newsroom
Copyright © 2002-2015 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 191968161 -
Gray Television, Inc.