Owners of a historic building in Hazard that was heavily damaged by a fire just before Christmas of last year are now a step closer to rebuilding.
The owner of the old Hazard High School building which housed apartments for years said he is ready to move forward with his plans.
Dec. 19, 2011 was a day that Ismail Camur said he will not forget.
“It has been heartbreaking really,” said Camur.
“We have had a hard time.”
The owner of the old Hazard High School, which has been around nearly 90 years, had to stand helplessly and watch the building go up in flames. Several families were left temporarily homeless. Now, he has been given the okay by the state to restore what had become "Eblen Apartments."
State officials said they will have to follow some guidelines. The entire building will not be rebuilt, but a lot of things will be restored after water and fire damage. The owner said it has been a long road but he is just happy to be able to move forward with the process.
“Basically we are going to stay in the same shape that it was. that was good news, so that is going to help us a lot,” said Camur.
Camur said he is ready to move as fast as he can get tenants in the building.
“I would say probably middle of summer towards the fall it is going to be open again,” said Camur.
Camur said he was thankful to everyone in the community who helped in the process.
City officials said they are going to go over the entire proposal on Monday just to ensure that everything between the state and city guidelines work hand in hand.
On official cause of that fire has never been released but fire officials said in the past that arson was a possibility.