WYMT | Eastern KY | News, Weather, Sports

Panetta: US military not sent into Benghazi during attack due to insufficient information

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Defense Secretary Leon Panetta says the U.S. military did not intervene during the attack on the U.S. Consulate in Libya last month because it was over before the U.S. has sufficient information on which to act.
At a news conference, Panetta lamented second-guessing about how the U.S. handled the attack in Benghazi on Sept. 11. He said the U.S. military was prepared to respond but did not do so because it lacked what he called "real-time information."
U.S. Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans were killed in the attack.
Panetta said he and senior U.S. military commanders felt strongly that they should not put U.S. forces at risk at the time.
He said - quote - "It was really over before we had the opportunity to really know what was happening."
© 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WYMT CONTACT INFO 199 Black Gold Blvd. Hazard, KY 41701 606-436-5757 - switchboard 606-439-9968 - newsroom
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 175856091 - wkyt.com/a?a=175856091