SISSONVILLE, Ky. (WYMT) - The death shocked fans of the MTV reality series "Buckwild." However, for "mud bogging" fanatics it may be more of a shock as to how reality TV star Shain Gandee and two others died in Sissonville, West Virginia.
The trio died from carbon monoxide poisoning after their sport utility vehicle became stuck in the mud.
Officials needed a bulldozer to pull Shain Gandee's Ford Bronco out of the mud. The 21-year-old reality TV star, his uncle and a family friend were found dead inside the vehicle Monday.
"We had received word that someone had seen a vehicle wrecked in the woods near Shain's house. That prompted the response here," said B.D. Humphryes with the Kanawha County, West Virginia Sheriff's Department.
The vehicle was found with its tailpipe completely submerged in mud. Tuesday, the Kanawha County Sheriff's Department announced autopsy results that found all three had died from carbon monoxide poisoning.
"It's just really unusual for that to happen out in the open, and within a vehicle," said Hazard fire chief Sam Stacy. "I've not actually heard of it before."
Officials believe the three were "mud bogging" when they became stuck. Fans of the sport we talked to say they never would have thought carbon monoxide could be a threat.
"Mud always gets under the vehicles, and it is known for you know, sticking and getting in tail pipes stuff like that. It's possible but it's hard to believe," said Nichole Carpenter and James Hearld, both of Hazard.
Friends and family in West Virginia were stunned to learn of the sudden passing of the three. They say Gandee will be missed.
"He's a loving guy. He's all about his family. He told me, he told all of us he was going to do "Buckwild" for his family, to do whatever he can for his family," said Tori Westfall of Sissonville.
The MTV Network issued a statement on his death, saying Gandee had "a magnetic personality, with a passion for life that touched everyone he met."
Shooting for the second season of the show, set around Sissonville and Charleston, has been suspended.