A Pulaski County family is dealing with a difficult loss after their eight-month-old son was found unresponsive in a car seat.
The coroner's office has determined that the child died of positional asphyxiation. Now, health officials are discussing the proper ways to use a car seat so unfortunate situations like this do not happen again.
"It's not meant to be used as a crib for a sleeping place for the entire night," explains UK Child Safety Coalition's Sherry Harron. "It's not meant to be a place that you feed the baby necessarily because it is a child safety restraint to be used in a vehicle."
If left in a car seat outside of a car, a child could potentially hurt themselves. "If you're using your car seat for anything indoors, typically you may be doing something that requires you to be far away from the child. If that happens you're not necessarily paying full attention to them ... which could pose a danger right there," Harron said.
Some tips from the experts on how to make sure your child stays safe in their car seat: First, you need to make sure that the car seat is reclined at a 30-45 degree angle. That way the child's head is not slumped over, constricting their airway. Also, make sure to check their coloring is right and that they are breathing correctly. If you notice they are not making a lot of noise, pull over. Lastly, never leave a child unattended. If you have to leave them in their car seat, make sure someone is watching them at all times.
Enter your number for a chance to win great prizes!
Message and data rates may apply