NEW YORK (AP) - The New York City medical examiner's office says it has started sifting construction debris from the World Trade Center site in an effort to find any human remains from the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.
The work began Monday. It's expected to continue for about 10 weeks on Staten Island.
Deputy Mayor Cas Holloway said in a memo Friday that DNA testing will continue until every possible identification can be made.
City officials say about 60 truckloads of construction debris have been collected around the lower Manhattan site over the past 2 1/2 years. A skyscraper will replace the destroyed twin towers.
Some 2,750 people died at the World Trade Center in the 2001 attacks. So far, 1,634 people have been identified.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)