Officials received a call of a house fire on Indiana Avenue in Whitesburg at 9:45 Saturday night. Officials and neighbors say no one was home.
"It also makes you realize that material things can go away pretty quickly. But we're just very glad and very thrilled that they weren't in the home or that nobody was injured or hurt last night. That was the main concern," said Larissa Bailey, a neighbor.
"From what I know of them, they seem like they're very nice people and I'm just glad that they're okay and fine. I'm just sorry about their loss on the house," said Tracie Day, a neighbor.
Fire officials say the fire re-kindled twice before they finally put it out around 10:30 Sunday morning. This house fire is the third one in Eastern Kentucky since Friday.
The Whitesburg Assistant Fire Chief, John Swisher, says that he does not think this fire was caused due to anybody making a mistake, but he does say there are some basic steps that can be taken to prevent house fires.
"Don't overload stuff(circuits), be careful with your cooking, don't smoke in bed. A lot of those things will prevent it, but the most effective way to get out of a house fire alive is with a smoke alarm," Swisher said.
Assistant Chief Swisher says in his more than 30 years fighting fires, no one has died in a house fire who had a working smoke detector.
Fire officials say one volunteer firefighter was treated for smoke inhalation at Whitesburg ARH. They say the family was out of the home when the fire happened and it is an ongoing investigation. They say no foul play is suspected at this time.