Two-year-old death under investigation

By: Jerrika Insco Email
By: Jerrika Insco Email

The death of a two-year-old in Floyd County is under investigation.

The legal guardians, 26-year-old Gladys and 30-year-old Jason Dickerson, were both arrested Saturday night on first degree criminal abuse charges.

They are both lodged in the Floyd County Detention Center in Prestonsburg.

The death happened Thursday evening at about six o'clock in the home of Gladys and Jason Dickerson.

Gladys and Jason Dickerson received custody of Gladys' sister's children in February.

Two-year-old Watson Glenn Adkins was one of those kids.

When the two-year-old stopped breathing, his aunt tried to perform CPR. Watson later died in the Dickerson's home.

The legal guardians and three of Watson's siblings were home when it happened.

"She called 911 after she attempted for a short space of time. 911 dispatch, quest care, and ambulances came. It was too far along to do anything," said Floyd County Deputy Coroner Chuck Hall.

Since March, the mother, Rhoda Lewis, has been visiting her children two hours twice a week.

Lewis says she has been taking pictures of her children's bruises ever since.

"I begged and pleaded and cried. I said, 'Please don't send my babies back there.' And they would have to tear my children off me screaming, 'Mommy, please no no, mommy.' And there's nothing mommy could have done," said Rhoda Lewis, the mother.

Lewis blames her sister and brother-in-law for the death of her son.

"I'm never going to hold my child again. I'm never going to teach him how to ride a bicycle or put him in the first grade or kindergarten. He doesn't get to experience nothing because of them," said Lewis.

The deputy coroner says the incident is an ongoing death investigation.

The three other children, ages one, four, and five, are in the custody of child protective services.

We tried to interview the legal guardians but could not get in contact with them.

State police are not releasing any information at this time.

Watson's body was taken to Frankfort for an autopsy on Friday.

Officials say they hope to have more information when they receive the autopsy results.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WYMT CONTACT INFO 199 Black Gold Blvd. Hazard, KY 41701 606-436-5757 - switchboard 606-439-9968 - newsroom
Copyright © 2002-2015 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 130915353 -
Gray Television, Inc.