Two in critical condition at UK Hospital after kerosene house fire

By: Paige Quiggins Email
By: Paige Quiggins Email

Two people with serious burns are flown to a hospital after a house fire in Perry County. It happened Wednesday afternoon on Mud Lick Road in the Avawam community.

The victims have not been identified but fire officials said this was a result of a kerosene explosion. Many in Avawam have been using kerosene for heat because they lost power after the weekend snowstorm.

Smoke filled the Mud Lick road neighborhood, just near the Perry-Leslie county line.

“The flames was shooting out the roof and the front porch was all on fire,” said Jimmy Eversole of the Avawam Volunteer Fire Department.

The fire had the neighborhood isolated for around four hours while firefighters with the Avawam and Jakes Branch Volunteer Fire Departments fought the flames.

Fire officials had to block off the top of the road even though the fire was about a quarter of a mile down the hollow.

“It is going to be a total loss, I don't think there is anything that they can salvage,” said Eversole.

Fire officials said a man and a woman were injured.

“The people that live here they were filling a kerosene, where their electric has been off they don't have no electric and they were filling the kerosene heater up and they say it exploded and it caught the porch on fire,” said Eversole.

Eversole and Avawam Assistant Chief Jimmy Westerfield said that with no electricity, many people use kerosene heaters, but the explosion shows how important it is to be cautious.

“When you don't have power and you have to use other resources of heat you have to make sure you do it properly in a well ventilated place and make sure you do it right,” said Eversole.

Both victims were flown to University of Kentucky hospital in Lexington. Their names have not been released but Westerfield said both had second and third degree burns. Both are in critical condition.

WYMT CONTACT INFO 199 Black Gold Blvd. Hazard, KY 41701 606-436-5757 - switchboard 606-439-9968 - newsroom
Copyright © 2002-2015 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 140090263 -
Gray Television, Inc.