JOHNSON COUNTY, Ky. (WYMT) - It is something they volunteer their time to fight, but Tuesday the house of a volunteer fire chief in Johnson County went up in flames.
About 9:30 Tuesday morning River Volunteer Fire Department Chief Rocky Caudill got a phone call he never expected.
"My wife was home. She called me and said she smelled smoke. I told her to call 911," he said.
His home was on fire.
Caudill's son was the first one on scene.
"He said smoke was already coming out of the roof and he went to the firehouse, got a fire truck and come back," said Caudill.
Volunteer fire departments from neighboring communities came to help, but the Caudills' home was a loss.
"You work, a person works and works and loses just everything in a matter of a few minutes," said Caudill.
The firefighters on scene said it is always hard to see a fire do so much damage to someone's home, but they say it makes it that much harder when it is a fellow firefighter.
"We take all of our firefighting very seriously, but when it's a brother firefighter or sister firefighter, both of them the chief and his wife have been on River Fire Department for a long time," said Paul Burchett, Chief at W.R. Castle Volunteer Fire Department.
While they are all still in shock, they say they are thankful for their friends willing to battle the blaze.
"You never know when it's going to come home to you. You know it's tough," said Caudill.
No one was injured during the fire.
It is still under investigation, but officials believe it started near the breaker box.