LEBANON, Mo. (AP) - Wal-Mart says it has pulled a batch of powdered infant formula from stores nationwide after a newborn Missouri boy became gravely ill with a suspected infection and died after being taken off life support.
Wal-Mart spokeswoman Dianna Gee said Wednesday the move is cautionary as health officials investigate Sunday's death of 10-day-old Avery Cornett of Lebanon, Mo.
No government recall has been ordered for the 12.5-ounce cans of Enfamil Newborn powder with the lot number ZP1J7G.
The Lebanon Daily Record reports Avery received a preliminary diagnosis of infection from a rare bacterium called Cronobacter sakazakii.
The formula's manufacturer, Mead Johnson Nutrition, says the batch Wal-Mart pulled tested negative for the bacterium. Spokesman Christopher Perille says numerous companies sell the formula, though it's unclear if others sold from that batch.
(Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)