HAZARD, Ky. (WYMT) - The search is on for a new University of Kentucky football coach.
One day after being fired, we learned late Monday afternoon that UK Football Coach Joker Phillips will coach the remaining two games of the season.
The search has already begun for his replacement.
As speculation continues as to who should be the new Kentucky football coach, we've heard a lot of names.
Former UK Quarterback and Cumberlands Redskin, Freddie Maggard, told us the type of coach he is looking to replace Joker Phillips.
"My personal opinion is, I would not want to see an NFL coach at UK. Times have changed. I'd like to see someone with recruiting ties in key states. But also, and more important to me personally, I'd like to see a coach come in here that could recruit the state of Kentucky,” Maggard said.
This is a list of coaches involved in the rumor mill right now across the Commonwealth. This does not mean all of these coaches are serious contenders for the job, but the names being thrown out are:
• Mike Leach - Head Coach of the Washington State Cougars football
• Neal Brown - Offensive Coordinator and Quarterbacks Coach at Texas Tech
• Sonny Dykes - Head Coach at Louisiana Tech University
• Brent Pease - Offensive Coordinator and Quarterbacks Coach at the University of Florida
• Phil Fulmer – Former University of Tennessee head coach
• David Cutcliffe - Head Coach of the Duke University Blue Devils
• Tommy Tuberville - Head Coach at Texas Tech University
• Bobby Petrino – Former Head Coach at Louisville and most recently Arkansas
• Jim Tressel - Former Head Coach at Ohio State University
Enter your number for a chance to win great prizes!
Message and data rates may apply