SOMERSET, Ky. (WKYT) - We’re learning more about a fire that destroyed an apartment building and left four families homeless.
The fire broke out Friday morning along South Central Avenue in Somerset.
Witnesses say a child saw the smoke and helped people in the building escape.
We’ve now obtained a frantic 911 call made by someone who lives there.
The call came in early Friday morning.
Caller: “There's a fire at 143 South Central Avenue. Hurry!
Dispatch: “Is anybody inside?
Caller: “There are a lot of people inside. I’m trying to get them out now.”
The caller, Barbie Wynn, lives at this Pulaski County apartment complex and when she was home on Friday morning she noticed something shocking outside of her window.
“I saw a man running out of the front of the apartment and all I saw was orange flames coming everywhere,” said Wynn.
It was then that she made the call to 911.
Dispatch: “Apartment one is on fire? In the attic?”
Caller: “No, it's downstairs, I saw the flames shooting out of the front door.”
The fire department isn't far from the apartment complex but by the time the call was made the damage was already done.
Now, four families are without a home.
Thankfully everyone made it out safe, but some say that wouldn't be the case if it wasn't for an 8-year-old girl.
Sarah Ridner happened to be up early playing when she saw the smoke and ran to tell her dad.
“I started screaming and I yelled. I ran upstairs and I think I woke the neighbors up when I was running,” Ridner says.
Ridner and her dad were then able to make sure other residents made it out safely as well.
Investigators say the fire may have been started by a space heater.
Enter your number for a chance to win great prizes!
Message and data rates may apply