Letcher Co. wildfire burns dangerously close to homes
- The fire burned one Letcher County firefighter's outbuilding to the ground, and scorched the old bus parked beside it.
W.Va. joins multistate online course agreement
- West Virginia is joining a movement that makes it easier for students to take online college courses offered by campuses in other states.
W.Va. man sentenced in slaying
- Media outlets report 26-year-old Deveron Patterson of Mabscott was sentenced Friday in Kanawha County Circuit Court for first-degree murder in the death of 28-year-old Kareem Hunter. Patterson was given mercy, meaning he could be eligible for parole after serving 15 years.
Media outlets report 26-year-old Deveron Patterson of Mabscott was sentenced Friday in Kanawha County Circuit Court for first-degree murder in the death of 28-year-old Kareem Hunter. Patterson was given mercy, meaning he could be eligible for parole after serving 15 years.
Robotics Competition Teaches Engineering Out of the Classroom
- Teams of middle school students from all over eastern Kentucky competed in a robotics competition in Hazard today to promote math and sciences in the area.
Christmas craft and art fair
- Around 75 local vendors were at the Appalachian Christmas Crafts and Artisan Fair today showing off their work.
Santa Train comes to town
- For the 72nd year the Santa Train made stops in Kentucky, Tennessee and Virginia.
Pikeville artist painting portraits of miners with coal dust
- Painting the soul of the region. That is how a Pikeville artist describes her work.
Big Blue Crush – Kentucky wins!
- Generous Kentucky blood donors have once again stepped up to provide blood for Kentucky patients during the upcoming holidays,” said Martha Osborne, Executive Director of Marketing and Recruitment for Kentucky Blood Center (KBC).
Christmas at the Cabin vendors encourage shoppers to buy local
- Perry County's Christmas at the Cabin craft sale kicked off Friday evening.
Alpha Natural Resources announces 60 layoffs in W.Va. and Ky.
- Spokesperson Steve Hawkins tells our sister station the mines impacted are the Ruby Energy Mine in Mingo County, Sidney Coal's Taylor Fork Mine in Pike County, and the Rock Spring Development in Wayne County.
Snowstorm death toll hits 12 in Buffalo; flood threat looms
- The death toll from an epic Buffalo-area snowstorm rose to 12 with the deaths of two elderly residents of a nursing home that was evacuated amid concerns of a roof collapse.
2 federal inmates charged with attempted escape
- A federal grand jury on Thursday charged 29-year-old Corey Adam Baker and 42-year-old Delman Demetrius Davis with attempted escape from the United States Penitentiary McCreary in Pine Knot, Kentucky.
Lotts Creek Community Mourns Loss of Fire Chief
- An eastern Kentucky community is remembering their fire chief tonight.
Lotts Creek Fire Chief Chris Engle died early Friday morning.
KCTCS campuses prepare to go tobacco-free
- Recently, Gov. Steve Beshear issued an executive order to ban tobacco products on all Kentucky finance and administrative properties.
Kentucky Community and Technical College campuses will also join the effort to promote a tobacco-free environment. One staff member at the Hazard campus says this change will have a big impact on his health.
Donate stuffed bears for children
- Food City in Johnson County is selling stuffed bears and asking people to donate them to the Sheriff's Office.
Judge to review sealed evidence in terror case
- U.S. District Judge Thomas B. Russell has ordered attorneys in the case of 27-year-old Mohanad Shareef Hammadi to submit the evidence to him.
More WYMT Headlines