More than 2,150 confirmed dead in Nepal earthquake
Posted: 6:50 AM
- An official in Nepal says at least 2,152 people are now confirmed dead in the massive earthquake that hit just outside of Kathmandu.
Putin accuses US of supporting separatists in Russia
Posted: 10:22 AM
- President Vladimir Putin, who marks 15 years in power this year, has said in a new documentary that Russia had proof that the United States helped separatists in the North Caucasus in the 2000s.
Students from Nepal watch aftermath of earthquake from Kentucky
Posted: 6:22 AM
- Devastating images and numbers continue to come in from Nepal, where more than 1,000 people are dead after a 7.8 magnitude earthquake. It was an especially difficult morning for some college students in central Kentucky as they watched the place they call home destroyed.
Coast Guard: 4 missing after sailboats capsize in Alabama
Posted: 6:40 AM
- Coast Guard officials say crews are continuing their search for at least four people missing in the water after a powerful storm capsized several sailboats participating in a regatta near Mobile Bay, Alabama.
Widow of sheriff who was shot to death sues alleged gunman
- The Charleston Gazette reports that Rosie Crum filed the wrongful death lawsuit against Tennis Maynard in Mingo County Circuit Court earlier this month. She is seeking $1 million in damages.
WYMT wins 16 awards from Kentucky Associated Press
- WYMT picked up 16 awards at the Kentucky Associated Press Broadcasters awards ceremony.
Cyclists hit the pavement for eighth annual Redbud Ride in Laurel Co.
- Cyclists from across the country hit the pavement Saturday for the eighth annual Redbud Ride in Laurel County.
Coyote collared after lower Manhattan police chase
- The coyote was spotted shortly after 7:30 a.m. in the Battery Park City neighborhood. Officers tailed her up and down a marina and a Hudson River park for about an hour before using a tranquilizer dart to subdue her.
Appalachian nonprofit links small farmers with big grocers
- Appalachian Harvest has grown to a $1.5 million business that derives only a sliver of its budget from grants while delivering vegetables to grocers including Whole Foods, Ingles and Food City.
Magnitude-7.9 quake hits Nepal, scope of death expands
- Officials say a magnitude 7.8 earthquake in a densely populated area of Nepal has killed more than 700 people across a swath of four countries, with the death toll expected to keep climbing.
Folks walk Hindman Settlement School campus looking for herbs
- The herb walk including information on the uses of the herbs.
Veterans commemorate end of Vietnam War in Knott County
- One of the veterans in attendance once guarded the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.
Severe storms likely on Saturday
- Gusty winds, heavy rain, large hail, and an isolated tornado are possible with storms on Saturday afternoon and evening.
Volunteers spend morning cleaning up Carr Creek Lake
- About 60 volunteers came to help.
As contributions fall, House GOP rebels blame party leaders
- Tea party Rep. Thomas Massie voted in January against keeping John Boehner as House speaker.
More WYMT Headlines