Mudslide affecting 30 homes in Mingo County
Posted: 8:20 AM
- The mudslide was reported about 10:30 p.m. Thursday at Big Splint Hollow Road off Route 119 near Williamson.
Statewide emergency declared in storm that 'will be the standard bearer'
Posted: 9:33 AM
- Gov. Steve Beshear declared a statewide emergency Thursday to allow communities immediate access to state resources and allow local officials immediate access to resources to assist in public safety and recovery efforts.
Flooding at Powell River in Harrogate becoming a concern
Posted: 8:15 AM
- The Powell River has topped its banks around Harrogate and is getting even higher.
Washington House votes to raise hourly minimum wage to $12
Posted: 11:05 AM
- Under Washington’s current law, the minimum wage goes up every January with inflation. The Employment Security Department said this year’s minimum wage hike affected more than 67,000 workers.
Several stranded by flooding near the Mingo/Wayne County line
Posted: 8:12 AM
- Officials in Mingo County estimated the Tug Fork River at Kermit would crest Thursday night at 48.5 feet.
Portions of Perry County under boil water advisory
Updated: 9:16 AM
- Affected customers are ask to bring water to a boil for 2-3 minutes, then allow to cool before drinking.
Snow and ice add to flooding issues in Campbell County
Posted: 8:18 AM
- Campbell County Emergency Management officials say they've seen more accidents Thursday than during the storms the past couple of weeks.
Letcher County family loses home in mudslide
- Letcher County Magistrate Keith Adams and his wife, Diane, woke up to an unexpected disaster at 5 a.m. Thursday morning.
UPike students asked to temporarily relocate because of flooding
- The decision to move the students was precautionary. It came as flooding became a threat to the off-campus building.
Pikeville flood gate used for first time in wall's history
- That is where Pikeville officials were forced to raise the city's lower flood gate, just west of downtown.
WYMT iWitness Slideshow
- Send pics to email@example.com or post them on social media with #WYMTwx.
Man arrested after calling 911 to say wife stole his cocaine
Updated: 8:59 AM
- The man, 39-year-old Robert D. Collins of Alliance, was charged with two misdemeanor counts alleging improper use of the 911 system and possession of drug paraphernalia. Alliance Municipal Court records online didn't list an attorney for him Friday.
Flood Water destroys hundreds of toys for "Tri-City Empty Stocking Fund"
- For nearly 35 years, James "Muggins" Bennett has celebrated Christmas by giving thousands of donated toys and food baskets to hundreds of Harlan County families in need, all through his organization, the Tri-City Empty Stocking Fund. However, the severe weather Wednesday flooded the sheds where Bennett keeps those toys, resulting in thousands in damages.
Virginia man found dead in car that was swept away by flood waters
- Sheriff's deputies in Buchanan County, Virginia say a car was on the Helen Henderson Highway when it started to float away Wednesday.
Kentucky State Police investigate Wolfe County shooting
- They tell us 52 year old Garland Noble was shot at his home on Kentucky 191 near Campton.
List of warming centers open in Pike County
- Warming Centers to provide shelter and warmth for anyone who needs assistance due to current flooding or the loss of power or heat:
Flooding, ice cover Knox Co. roads
- Ice and flooding made for difficult driving in Knox County. Tires fought for traction Thursday on icy roads, while flooding crept closer and closer to highways.
Road crews battle winter storm to clear Pikeville roads
- However, officials say to stay off the roads if at all possible.
More WYMT Headlines