Disaster declaration approved for Eastern Kentucky counties
Posted: 4:06 PM
- The U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) has approved Gov. Steve Beshear’s request for a disaster declaration following the heavy rain and flash flooding in August that washed out roads and forced people from their homes throughout the eastern part of the state. The declaration covers Floyd, Johnson, Knott, Magoffin, Martin and Pike counties.
Election flyer causes concerns in Eastern Kentucky
Updated: 8:13 PM
- Tonight, an alert for Eastern Kentucky voters. The Perry County Clerk and others called us today concerned about a campaign flyer mailed to folks across the coverage area.
Virgin Galactic says space tourism rocket explodes
Posted: 4:26 PM
- Photographer Ken Brown says the space tourism craft was released from the plane that carries it to high altitude, ignited its rocket motor and then exploded.
Virginia man arrested, facing several charges
Posted: 4:19 PM
- Back in May of this year, police in Pound got a complaint that eventually led to the arrest of 51 year old Jimmy Mullins.
Man wanted in school bus hit-and-run arrested
Updated: 8:40 PM
- Deputies in Perry County arrested Gary Daniels early Friday morning following a car chase.
Last day for Chamber of Commerce President Jared Arnett
Updated: 6:21 PM
- President and CEO of the South East Kentucky Chamber of Commerce Jared Arnett said his farewells earlier today.
Theft at water plant totals $25,000
Updated: 4:28 PM
- Thousands of dollars worth of equipment has been stolen from a Mountain Water District, Water treatment plant.
One dead, three hurt in Laurel County crash
Updated: 2:09 PM
- It happened early Friday morning on Ky. 770, about 11 miles south of London.
Southwest Virginia man indicted on child pornography charges
Posted: 7:40 AM
- Jimmy Mullins is charged with production of child pornography, object sexual penetration of a victim under the age of 13 and possession of child pornography.
Gas ready to drop below $3 for 1st time in 4 years
Posted: 7:28 AM
- The average price of gasoline in the U.S. hit $3 a gallon Friday, and should soon drop below the benchmark for the first time since December 2010.
Parking plan, festival announced for Garth Brooks shows in Lexington
Updated: 12:36 PM
- More than 80,000 people are expected in downtown Lexington when Garth Brooks comes to town on October 31 and November 1. City leaders say the large crowds could mean major traffic and parking issues.
West Virginia receives $1.2M in federal health funding
Posted: 7:32 AM
- U.S. Senators Joe Manchin and Jay Rockefeller announced the funding for the state health department's Office of Maternal, Child and Family Health on Thursday.
Farm to Campus Program expands to Transylvania University
Posted: 7:34 AM
- State Agriculture Commissioner James Comer says the initiative encourages universities to buy as much local food as possible and to sign contracts with multiple growers.
Lawsuit claims deadly 2012 Paintsville house fire result of murder plot
- A murder or freak accident? In 2012 a house fire claimed the life of, Mark Girard. The quadraplegic's remains were found inside his house on State Street in Paintsville. Family member's now claim he was killed in a murder plot organized by his ex-wife and caregiver.
Leslie County bank raises money for cancer research with Halloween events
- Dozens of kids decorated pumpkins and celebrated Halloween Thursday night at Hyden Citizens Bank.
"March" Madness in November: Parts One and Two
- On Wednesday, we introduced you to two eastern Kentucky marching bands set to compete in the semifinals of the KEMA State Band Championship this weekend. WYMT’s Eric Eckstrom continues those introductions Thursday with Corbin High School, Pineville High School, and Harlan Independent High School.
Harlan County coal miner finds new career in law enforcement
- It is by no means a new story but it is one that continues to impact hundreds, if not thousands, in our region.
More WYMT Headlines