Ky. jobless rate steady at 5.5 percent in January
Posted: 11:35 AM
- Kentucky officials say the state's jobless rate in January matched the 5.5 percent rate in December and is down from a 7.5 percent rate in January 2014.
Justices will hear gay marriage cases on April 28
Posted: 11:25 AM
- The court released its calendar Thursday for the final two weeks of arguments this term and allotted the gay marriages cases two-and-a-half hours on the last Tuesday in April.
Latest on Hazard flooding and some flood history
Posted: 6:57 AM
- WYMT's Steve Hensley and Brandon Robinson talked about the ongoing flooding on the North Fork of the Kentucky River in Hazard on Mountain News This Morning. They also discussed the history of Hazard floods.
River crest levels across the eastern Coalfields
Updated: 9:10 AM
- Heavy rain and melting snow has forced more water into local rivers and streams, pushing them out of their banks and leading to widespread flooding.
Several shelters open in Southwest Virginia for those displaced by flooding
Updated: 6:25 AM
- Officials tell us shelters are open in Wise and Dickenson counties.
One person taken to hospital following Perry County crash
- We are told it happened near the Wal-Mart in Hazard on Kentucky 80.
Ringling Bros. Eliminating Elephant Acts
Posted: 8:43 AM
- Executives from Feld Entertainment, Ringling's parent company, said the decision to end the circus's century-old tradition of showcasing elephants was difficult and debated at length. Elephants have often been featured on Ringling's posters over the decades. The decision is being announced Thursday.
Mudslide in Pike County knocks home off foundation
Updated: 6:24 AM
- It happened around three a.m. Wednesday on Old Shelbiania Road near Pikeville.
Rain changing to sleet and snow, winter storm continues
Updated: 6:27 AM
- The winter storm is transitioning from rain to snow. Slick roads are likely, power outages could become a problem, and we still have to contend with flooding.
High water causes headaches in Harlan County
Updated: 6:28 AM
- High water created all kinds of problems for folks Wednesday in Harlan County. Harlan County Public Schools dismissed at 9 a.m. due to flooding concerns.
Sen. Rand Paul expected to announce presidential decision soon
- He says he expects to make a decision within the next month or so.
Shelters in place for those impacted by flooding in Virginia
- They are open at Union High School, Central High School, J W Adams School, Norton Community Center, and Coeburn Middle School.
Heavy rains challenge highway officials preparing for the snowstorm
Updated: 6:27 AM
- The rain Wednesday is not helping road crews prepare for the latest winter storm. They normally pretreat roads with salt to help with snow and ice, but say heavy rain made that nearly impossible.
Two men busted on drug charges in Harlan County
- Deputies tell us they received information Arthur Napier was coming into the area with a large number of pills.
Cancer-fighting hero Lauren Hill earns all-conference First Team honor
- On Wednesday, the Heartland College Athletic Conference, where Hill's Mount St. Joseph team plays, announced Hill was a member of the league's all-conference first team.
U.S. 25 meeting in Whitley County postponed due to weather
- The project begins at the Kentucky 727 intersection and extends to Kentucky 3041.
More WYMT Headlines