MOREHEAD, Ky. -- Morehead State baseball travels to Jackson, Tenn., this week to play in its first Ohio Valley Conference Tournament since the 2010 season. The Eagles face Eastern Illinois in game one of the tournament Wednesday at Pringles Park at 4 p.m. ET.
Right-handed freshman Aaron Goe will toe the rubber for MSU in the tournament opener and will face senior righthander Mike Hoekstra.
The Eagles took the series from EIU earlier this season, winning two games in Charleston, Ill. Goe outpitched Hoesktra in game one as MSU won 6-3. Despite tossing eight innings, Hoekstra allowed 10 hits and five runs in the opener. In contrast, Goe allowed just three earned runs and went seven strong. Senior rightfielder Luke Bainer drove in a pair of runs in the victory and went 3-for-5 with a home run.
Three MSU players received weekly honors Monday for their performances last week. Goe was tabbed Freshman and Pitcher of the Week by BluGrass Baseball for his complete game effort versus UT Martin and senior catcher Eric Bainer earned Hitter of the Week honors. Junior closer Matt Duncan was picked as the OVC Player of the Week by College Sports Madness. The Brownsburg, Ind., native leads the conference in saves and earned jos 13th in Sunday's regular season finale.
Below are more notes related to Wednesday's contest versus EIU:
• MSU clinched its first tournament berth since the 2009 season with weekend victories over UT Martin. The Eagles recorded their first OVC series sweep since 2010 against the Skyhawks behind strong pitching performances by freshman starters Aaron Goe and Blake Smith . Goe tossed his first collegiate complete game in the series opener versus the UT Martin. He fanned nine, going the distance in just 103 pitches. Smith pitched seven strong innings in the finale, his longest outing of the season.
• Senior third baseman Andrew Deeds is one hit shy of the program singleseason record. He leads the OVC in hits with 85 and paces the Eagles with a .399 batting average. Deeds was selected as the team’s Eddie Wallingford Most Valuable Player Saturday during pregame Senior Day festivities.
• With Saturday’s senior day victory, Head Coach Jay Sorg earned his 100th program win. The win also gave MSU a series sweep against the Skyhawks, the first OVC series sweep since the 2010 season.
• Redshirt freshman outfielder Duran Elmore is chasing a program record of his own. He is a sacrifice away from tying the program single-season record held by former Eagle outfielder Travis Rima since 2005.
• Senior closer Matt Duncan notched his conference-leading 13th save in the series finale versus UT Martin. Opposing batters are hitting .207 against the Brownsburg, Ind., native and he ranks second on the team with 26 appearances this
• With his 28th appearance out of the bullpen Saturday, junior reliever Morgan Cirbo tied the single-season appearance record previously held by former Eagle pitchers Quentin Morgan and Travis Young .
• Eastern Illinois won 11 of its last 15 games to earn a spot in the OVC Tournament. The Panthers are the conference leaders in ERA and hold a league-high .311 batting average in conference play.