CAMPBELLSVILLE, Ky. - Freshman Trey Alexander (Glasgow, Ky.) tossed six innings of one-hit ball and Union used a pair of big innings to cruise past host and 21st-ranked Campbellsville (Ky.) 8-4 on Tuesday.
Alexander improved to 3-0 on the season, allowing one unearned run on one hit and two walks. He needed only 76 pitches to get the job down. Justin King (Barbourville, Ky.) tossed the final three frames to pick up his second save of the inning. King gave up three earned runs on four hits and no walks with one strikeout.
Drew Pettit was tagged with the loss as he surrendered four earned runs on two hits and four walks with three strikeouts in 2 2/3 innings. Pettit is 3-1 on the year now.
At the plate, Nelson Price (Burkesville, Ky.) and Zach Dillman (Cincinnati, Ohio) led the way once again as both went 2-for-5 with three RBIs.
With the win, Union improves to 21-15 overall, while Campbellsville is 22-8.
A pair of big innings broke the game open for Union en route to the 8-4 decision. Tied at 1-1 in fifth, Union put together a two-out, four-run rally to seize control of the game. Three consecutive two-out walks loaded the bases for Price, who singled to right-center to drive in two for a 3-1 advantage. Dillman then followed with a two-run single of his own to up the margin to 5-1.
The Bulldogs padded their lead in the sixth with a three-run surge to claim an 8-1 lead. LaVance Anderson (Bowling Green, Ky.), Gabby Juarbe (San Juan, P.R.) and Price each had drove in a run in the sixth.
Campbellsville only managed one hit and an unearned run through the first eight innings before a three-run ninth. However, it was too little, too late as Union left with the 8-4 decision.
By the Numbers
* Price and Juarbe extended their hit streaks to seven games, matching the team best for the season. This is the second time Juarbe has had a seven-game hit streak and the third time for Price.
* Union swept the season series with Campbellsville, outscoring the Tigers 21-6 in the two games.
* Four players now have 24 or more RBIs on the season with Tyler Brake (Burlington, Ky.) leading the way with 28.
* Alexander dropped his ERA from 2.50 to 1.88 on the season.
* The Bulldogs have now outscored the opposition 46-19 in the fifth inning on the year.
Union returns to Appalachian Athletic Conference action this weekend at Virginia Intermont. Saturday's doubleheader is set for 1 p.m., while Sunday's nine-inning contest is slated for 1 p.m.