WYMT- Sports - Headlines

Bulldogs battle King to 2-2, double overtime draw

BRISTOL, Tn The Union College men's soccer team and NCAA Division II member King (Tenn.) battled for 110 minutes, but the contest ended after two overtime periods in a 2-2 draw on Wednesday afternoon at Parks Field.

With the result, Union went to 6-5-2 overall, while King moved to 1-9-2 with the tie.

In the first half, King was first to strike late in the period, as Chris Hicks scored with 14 seconds left in the half to give the Tornado a 1-0 lead going into intermission.

In the second half, however, Union took control of the match on the heels of senior midfielder Joe Butcher.

First in the 57th minute, Butcher scored, unassisted, to tie the match up at 1-1. Under four minutes later, the Isle of Wight, England native fired a free kick from 25 yards out past King goalie Kari Sveinsson, giving Union a 2-1 lead.
The Bulldogs would hold that lead as the match went into its latter stages.

King, however, sent the match to overtime with a late goal, as Ryan Murphy scored with 4:15 left in regulation to tie the match. In the final minutes, Union had two corner kicks, but were unable to convert on a scoring chance, extending the match to overtime.

In the overtime periods, both teams had opportunities to win it. Late in the first overtime period, Butcher had a shot saved by Sveinsson, in what turned out to be Union's only shot on goal in the overtimes. King had more chances to end the match, taking seven total shots. But, Union goalie CJ Hopkins turned away the Tornado three times in the overtime periods, preserving the draw in the process.

Overall, King outshot Union 23-19 in the match, while Union held a 10-5 edge on corner kicks.

By the Numbers
- For Butcher, the two-goal match marked the first time on the year the senior has scored a goal. Last season, he scored two goals throughout the entire season, thus doubling his career goal total to four on the day.
- Hopkins had a strong day in goal for Union, making a season-high seven saves. His previous high of six came in matches against Southern Poly (Aug. 31) and Reinhardt (Sept. 14). Union went 1-0-1 in those matches.
- This was Union's first double overtime draw since a 1-1 tie over Tennessee Wesleyan last season. Union's previous draw on the year against Southern Poly (1-1) was in a match that only went 90 minutes.
- With the result, King still leads the overall series over Union, 10-3-3.

Up Next
The Bulldogs jump back into Appalachian Athletic Conference play on Saturday, traveling to rival Tennessee Wesleyan for a key conference tilt. Things get underway at 3 p.m.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WYMT CONTACT INFO 199 Black Gold Blvd. Hazard, KY 41701 606-436-5757 - switchboard 606-439-9968 - newsroom
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 228113391 - wkyt.com/a?a=228113391
Gray Television, Inc.