WYMT- Sports - Headlines

Comeback falls short for top-ranked UPIKE

PIKEVILLE, Ky. – A contested shot to tie at the horn fell short as No. 8 Georgetown College knocked off No. 1 Pikeville 86-84 Saturday afternoon at the East Kentucky Expo Center.

The off-balance shot ended a furious comeback that brought the Bears back from an18-point deficit with 12 minutes to play.

With the win, Georgetown improves to 7-0 on the season and 1-0 in the Mid-South Conference. Pikeville’s 11-game win streak, dating back to the opener of the 2011 NAIA national tournament, came to an end.

Georgetown got 38 points off its bench to lift it to the win.

Pikeville (6-1, 0-1), had four players reach double digits in the game, but got only 15 points from the other nine who played in the game.

The game was tied twice early, including at 12 after senior Tyrone Shelley nailed a three from the right wing with 14:22 left in the first half. The shot began 12 unanswered points by the Tigers, an explosion that lasted a mere 71 seconds. From there, the Tigers never lost the lead.

The Tigers shot 62.1 percent in the first half and took a 52-41 lead to intermission.

Georgetown’s lead grew to 69-50 after a three from the corner by junior Allan Thomas with 12:42 to play.

But Pikeville’s comeback began with a three-point play on a drive to the basket by senior Jamar Board with 12:17 left. He had eight of the next 10 points and when junior Trevor Setty banged home a three with 9:23 left, the Bears had drawn within 10 at 73-63.

Georgetown, however, was undaunted, and when senior Anthony Carter turned a steal into a dunk with 5:57 to play the lead was back to 79-63.

Board continued to dominate, flipping in a four-point play and a scooping layup to start a 10-0 run. After a reverse layup by senior Aaron Morris, the Bears went on a 9-2 run, and when Andrew Young tipped in a bucket with 1:25 left, the Bears were within one at 83-82.

Georgetown led 85-82 when Young rebounded a miss and the Bears called timeout with 14.3 seconds left. Out of the time, Georgetown fouled Setty, who made both free throws with 6.8 seconds left.

Pikeville had no recourse but to foul, and junior Russ Middleton hit the second free throw to make it 86-84 with 4.8 seconds left.

Senior Chris McHenry’s off-balance 15 footer fell short as time expired.

Board led all scorers with 25 points, scoring 21 in the last 12:17. McHenry finished with 17 while Setty scored 15 to go with five steals and Young’s double-double consisted of 12 points and 10 rebounds.

Shelley and senior Maurice Pearson scored 16 points each. Junior Garel Craig had 12 while Thomas came off the bench with 11.

The teams will be back in action on Monday night. Georgetown will head across the state line to play U.Va.-Wise, while the Bears are home to face Shawnee State. Both games tip off at 8 p.m.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WYMT CONTACT INFO 199 Black Gold Blvd. Hazard, KY 41701 606-436-5757 - switchboard 606-439-9968 - newsroom
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 134187623 - wkyt.com/a?a=134187623
Gray Television, Inc.