Chicago, IL - The University of Virginia's College at Wise's punt return and lateral as time expired to beat Emory & Henry was named the 2011 GEICO Play of the Year, Intersport announced today on CBS Sports during GEICO Presents Best of College Football 2011.
Throughout the college football season, fans voted on Facebook (www.facebook.com/BestofCollegeFootball) to determine which plays reigned supreme. After more than 300,000 votes were tallied to determine the finalists, a group of CBS Sports college football experts named the Cavaliers' return the 2011 GEICO Play of the Year for its degree of difficulty, game-winning implication, and crowd excitement.
Trailing by three points with 12 seconds left, UVa-Wise's Marcus Bratton fielded a punt from his own 30-yard line. Crossing midfield, Bratton was tripped up and blindly lateraled the ball to teammate Josh Wright just before hitting the ground. Wright then went 35 yards for a touchdown as the clock expired, with fans storming the field to celebrate the Cavs' unlikely 33-30 win. To view the play, visit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2S9KNmleGhU.
Additional 2011 GEICO Play of the Year Nominees
• Tavon Austin's (West Virginia) kickoff return vs. Marshall
• Joe Adams's (Arkansas) punt return vs. Missouri State
• Stephen Hill's (Georgia Tech) leaping one-handed catch vs. UNC
• Ri'Shard Anderson's (Syracuse) fumble return for a TD vs. Rutgers after teammate Dyshawn Davis' forced fumble
• Chris Treister's (Maine) helicopter, game-winning two-point conversion vs. James Madison
• Duke Ihenacho's (San Jose State) return (of a blocked Hawaii extra point) for a two point conversion, running the last 65 yards with a tweaked hamstring
• Cody Hoffman's (BYU) juggling, diving catch vs. Oregon State
• Philip Lutzenkirchen's (Auburn) one-handed catch and dive to the pylon vs. Ole Miss
View all of these amazing plays at www.facebook.com/BestofCollegeFootball.
In addition to recognizing the season's top plays, GEICO Presents Best of College Football 2011 provided viewers an in-depth look at some of college football's most intriguing topics, including conference realignment, uniform trends and the issue of concussions in football. Three unique and heart-warming stories from the past year were also highlighted. The show also marks the culmination of the GEICO Mobile Marketing Tour, an interactive fan experience that visits 30 marquee games throughout the football season. There will be multiple encore airings of GEICO Presents Best of College Football 2011 on CBS Sports Network. Check local listings for broadcast times in your area.