WYMT- Sports - Headlines

Union, St. Andrews battle to 4-4, double OT draw

BARBOURVILLE, Ky. - The Union College men's soccer team and St. Andrews (N.C.) battled for 110 minutes of play on Saturday at Bulldog Field, but the match ended in a 4-4, double overtime draw at Bulldog Field on Saturday afternoon.

With the tie, Union went to 6-7-2 overall on the year, 2-5-1 in the AAC, while St. Andrews is now 5-10-1, 2-5-1 n the AAC with the result.
In the first half, SAU got on the board in the 19th minute to take a 1-0 lead, as Andy Zimiso Stewart scored to give the Knights an early lead. However, Union came right back and knotted things up at 1-1 in the 21st minute when Callum Tychowski scored off a pass from Alex Scott.

In the 29th minute, Union took their first lead of the afternoon on an Alex Smith goal, who headed a shot into the back of the net off a great cross into the box from George Carroll. The 2-1 lead held over the last 16 minutes of the period, as the Bulldogs went into intermission with a one-goal lead.

Union took a two-goal lead in the 50th minute, as Alfie Caruso scored off a Tychowski cross into the box, lifting the Bulldogs to a 3-1 lead.
SAU cut the lead in half in the 52nd minute on another Zimiso Stewart goal, but Union answered in the 75th minute, as Jonathan Watson got on the board with a goal. Smith recorded an assist on the play, as Union once again opened a two-goal lead with 15 minutes to go in regulation.

Despite another Zimiso Stewart goal in the 79th minute that made it a 4-3 match, it appeared Union had the match in hand as the contest entered its final moments. However, St. Andrews shocked the Bulldogs with 16 seconds left, as Kyle Bennett scored, sending the match to overtime.

In the overtime periods, both teams had opportunities to end the match, but could not convert, as things ended after 110 minutes in a draw.

Overall, Union outshot St. Andrew 19-14 in the match, while St. Andrews had a slight 9-8 edge on corner kicks.
By the Numbers

• Smith scored his 10th goal of the season in the match and recorded his fourth assist for a 24-point total for the year.

• Watson notched his seventh goal of the 2013 season in the draw, and has now scored 28 goals for his three-year career.

• Tychowski and Caruso scored the first goals of their respective seasons in the game.

• This was Union's first draw in AAC play since last season, when they battled Tennessee Wesleyan to a 2-2 double OT draw.
Up Next

Union returns to action on Wednesday, hosting Asbury in out-of-conference play. Things get underway at 2 p.m.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WYMT CONTACT INFO 199 Black Gold Blvd. Hazard, KY 41701 606-436-5757 - switchboard 606-439-9968 - newsroom
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 229411911 - wkyt.com/a?a=229411911
Gray Television, Inc.