Sports Overtime Headlines
Railsplitters overwhelmed by Bulldogs 15-8
Posted: 8:41 PM
- The Railsplitters' recent woes on the mound reared their head on Friday as the Wingate Bulldogs scored in all but one inning, chalking up a 15-8 win in the first of a three-game South Atlantic Conference baseball set at Ron Christopher Stadium in Wingate, North Carolina. Lincoln Memorial University falls to 26-15-1 with a 16-8 mark in the SAC with the loss, while Wingate improves to 28-14 with a 20-7 tally in league play.
ITC winning streak ends in finals for UPike women’s bowling
Posted: 8:40 PM
- The University of Pikeville women’s bowling team entered the 2014 xBowling Intercollegiate Team Championship finals as the only team in the field without a loss, but on Friday it was No. 2-seed Robert Morris (Ill.) ending the run with a 3-0 win at the Reno/Sparks Convention Center.
Elder shines as Union sweeps AAC twinbill
Posted: 8:39 PM
- Several players came through for Union in the Appalachian Athletic Conference doubleheader sweep of visiting Bryan (Tenn.), but none shined brighter than Justin Elder as the Bulldogs won 6-5 and 3-1 on Friday.
Cavs and Pioneers split baseball doubleheader
Posted: 8:37 PM
- Host Glenville State used a four-run eighth inning to post a 9-8 win in the opener before Griffin Duy tossed a complete game five-hitter in leading UVa-Wise to a 7-1 win in the finale.
Bulldogs knock off Columbia 4-1 in season finale
Posted: 8:35 PM
- The Union College softball team won their final game of the 2014 season on Friday, defeating Columbia (S.C.), 4-1, in the second game of an Appalachian Athletic Conference doubleheader at Union Field. The Bulldogs dropped game one of the double-dip to the Fighting Koalas, 9-5.
Alfredo Simon leads Reds over reeling Cubs 4-1
Posted: 6:05 PM
- Alfredo Simon lowered his ERA to 0.86, and the Cincinnati Reds beat the Chicago Cubs 4-1 Friday for their 16th win in their last 17 games at Wrigley Field.
Cavaliers sweep Cardinals to move atop MEC standings
Posted: 6:03 PM
- Senior Allyssa Zebrowski homered in each game of Friday’s doubleheader as UVa-Wise swept visiting Wheeling Jesuit University by scores of 14-5 and 8-5. In total, the Cavaliers hit four home runs on a day the club moved into sole possession of first place in the Mountain East Conference.
Reds' Phillips leaves game because of back spasms
Posted: 5:26 PM
- Cincinnati Reds second baseman Brandon Phillips left Friday's game against the Chicago Cubs because of back spasms.
Blue/White Spring Game TV, radio information announced
Posted: 4:31 PM
- Members of the Big Blue Nation who will not get a chance to make their way to Commonwealth Stadium for the Blue/White Spring Game on Saturday, April 26 at 3:30 p.m. ET, will have several other ways to catch the action as the game will televised and broadcasted on radio by the UK/IMG Sports Network, it was announced.
Lee to return for sophomore season
Posted: 3:54 PM
- Freshman forward Marcus Lee will return to the Kentucky men’s basketball program for the 2014-15 season, it was announced Friday.
More Sports Overtime Headlines