WKYT - Danville - Headlines

Fire damages Danville apartment building

By: Angela Beavin Email
By: Angela Beavin Email

People who live at a central Kentucky apartment building damaged by fire Wednesday morning are hoping they can go back home by the evening.

The fire broke out in a vacant unit around 5:15 a.m. at a house, which had been converted into apartments, along Caldwell Street in Danville.

"The fire department was knocking at the door," says David Gilpin, who lives in one of the apartments.

He says he woke up, smelled the smoke, and knew he needed to get out.

The fire started in the kitchen in the unit next to his. But that particular unit was empty, and someone from the level above first noticed the fire.

"He was getting up to go to work this morning, smelled smoke, and then he stepped out in the hallway and saw all the smoke, and that's when he called the fire department," Gilpin says.

Everyone made it out safely, and Danville firefighters put out the flames within minutes of arriving.

Although crews contained the fire to the vacant unit, it couldn't have been more untimely.

"The people that were supposed to move in here were supposed to today, but I guess they won't get to," Gilpin says.

Despite the misfortune, he says he's thankful the damage wasn't worse.

"Just a little bit of smoke damage--the smell--that's all for me."

Danville firefighters say the landlord will have to meet with inspectors to check the electric and gas before the tenants can move back in.

While investigators know the fire started in a kitchen, as of noon Wednesday, they were still determining exactly what caused it.

Disqus has not been setup for this website.
Copyright © 2002-2015 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 132626533 - wkyt.com/a?a=132626533
Gray Television, Inc.