FLOYD COUNTY, Ky. (WYMT) A small explosion in Floyd County on Turner Branch, which is near Allen Central High School, caused a home to partially collapse. It happened just after one o'clock Thursday afternoon while strong storms moved through the area but officials say this was not weather related.
Maytown firefighters say they were keeping an eye on the weather situation when they got the called out to a structure collapse. Firefighter Eddie Scarberry says, "Got the tones that a home had collapsed with occupants in it."
Initially firefighters say they thought they would be dealing with some type of storm damage but when they arrived on scene they realized the partial collapse was caused by an explosion.
Joniann Marshall, lives nearby and says, "The whole top of the roof was falling in, the upstairs first."
Fire officials say they could smell a strong odor of gas and immediately notified the gas and electric companies.
Scarberry says, "The gas line runs up through here and right under the house so I think there was a leak there and the gas just accumulated in the house. Anything could have sparked it, refrigerator kicking on or television or whatever."
Officials say there were two people inside the home at the time of the explosion, both did get out safely.
The gas line was shut off and the electricity to the home was also turned off. Officials say the area is safe and there is no threat to any other homes.