WKYT - Frankfort - Headlines

Four families displaced after fire

By: Angela Beavin Email
By: Angela Beavin Email

An intense fire broke out inside a central Kentucky apartment building Thursday morning, forcing several families from their homes.

It happened along Compton Drive in Frankfort.

Firefighters say two units inside the building were gutted. Two other units also had damage.

Four families were displaced because of the fire.

Chad Weaver says the fire started on his back porch from a mattress.

"It just happened so quick," he says." Before we knew it, the entire place was on fire."

He was able to get his fiance and four-year-old son out in time.

Fourteen people lived in the building, seven of whom were children.

Joey Taylor, his wife and stepson also got out safely, but their puppy did not.

"My dog was in the bathroom. There was no fire in there, but she had smoke inhalation and died."

No one was able to salvage much, but no injuries were reported.

The Red Cross is helping the families forced from their homes.

Firefighters say they suspect the fire started on the back porch due to a cigarette on a mattress, but they are still investigating.

Disqus has not been setup for this website.
Copyright © 2002-2015 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 121319639 - wkyt.com/a?a=121319639
Gray Television, Inc.