Joshua Ruwet, the father of 3-year-old Ruby Ruwet, says she is a happy and vivacious child. However, he says that changed after June 21st.
Joshua Ruwet says Ruby was at a friends home and was bitten by a rat that was purchased at Eastside Pets in Frankfort.
"Ruby does what a 3-year-old does and put her finger in the cage and got chomped and had a puncture wound through both sides of her finger", says Joshua Ruwet.
Within days her father says she wasn't being herself saying she had a high temperature, red spots on her body, as well as soreness in her body.
They took her to a couple different doctors.
"Ruby would not improve. She was definitely sore. She refused to sit on the potty, which she's potty trained so that was odd", says Joshua Ruwet.
Joshua Ruwet, who works in infection prevention, took advice from a co-worker and took Ruby to the emergency room at UK Hospital on Saturday where it appears she has the symptoms of Rat Bite Fever.
"The normal white blood cell count is about 100. She measured over 200,000. It was a big infection, but gratefully they think they caught it early enough and got it out of there", says Joshua Ruwet.
While the store owner says in the meantime he's isn't selling rats out of respect for this family, he says there isn't anything wrong with them.
Larry Perkins...Eastside Pets
"As a store there's no vaccines that we could give to prevent this bacterial infection. There's not a vaccine for it. Our store is very clean. We pride ourselves on a good, clean, healthy environment for our customers and for our pets. If there's something that could have been done to prevent this it would have happened," says Larry Perkins, the owner of Eastside Pets.
Meanwhile, Ruby's parents are just hoping this doesn't happen again and are urging people to vaccinate pets. They say in their case, luckily Ruby is improving.
"I feel like we've got our girl back. She's turning into a healthy, vivacious 3-year-old again," says Joshua Ruwet.
Joshua Ruwet say doctors hope to release Ruby by Sunday.
|Report problems like potholes, broken street lights, or vandalism in Frankfort.|