About a dozen people, including several young children, escaped a late night fire at an apartment building.
The fire broke out around 11:30 Wednesday night on Meadowview Drive near US 127 in Frankfort, and three young children had to be treated for smoke inhalation.
The fire started in the basement of the building and then started to spread.
A woman babysitting four young children says a man came and knocked on her door and told them the apartment was on fire.
She says she quickly got everyone out.
"The one baby was in the back bedroom asleep. The other three was in the from room with me," says Darlene.
She says the man who knocked on the door helped save their lives.
"And then after he got me and the kids out he went and got everybody else," Darlene says.
Firefighters say the flames broke out in the basement of the three-level apartment building, making their attack on the fire a difficult one.
"Any time it's in a basement, you've got to go right down through the path of the fire coming up, so it's kind of like going down a chimney, so it makes it a lot tougher," says Frankfort Fire Asst. Chief Eddie Slone.
Neighbors all around watched.
"A bunch of smoke coming from the back side of the building. Every now and then it would go away and then you'd see another big bust of smoke," says James Moffett.
Paramedics treated three children for smoke inhalation. Fortunately no one had to go to the hospital.
Firefighters say a good portion of the building has fire damage, and there's smoke damage throughout.
This same apartment building caught fire in 2006. A woman died in that fire.
The Red Cross is helping the families who now don't have a place to live.
Police say the State Fire Marshal responded because firefighters initially said the fire looked suspicious.
No word yet from investigators if this could be ruled arson. As of Thursday afternoon, they say it's just a fire investigation.
|Report problems like potholes, broken street lights, or vandalism in Frankfort.|