The Skirvin family spent Christmas morning sifting through memories trying to find something that didn't burn in an early morning fire. Amber Skirvin and her family of four lost their Christmas gifts, their home and two of their dogs in a fire that started in the laundry room.
Firefighters can't figure out how it started, but do believe it was electrical. Skirvin's eight-year-old daughter woke her parents up just a couple hours before the fire started, hoping to open gifts. And on Christmas Day, the little girl is being called a hero.
Groups in Frankfort and Georgetown are helping the Skirvin family, until they can find a new home.