Many people who stopped by a popular fast food restaurant for breakfast Thursday morning were stunned to find the building leveled by fire.
The McDonald's on Versailles Road in Frankfort caught fire late Wednesday night. Nothing but rubble remains.
All morning, car after car drove through the parking lot--some just wanting a meal, but many sad to see a place they loved no longer here.
"I come here everyday before I go to work to eat," says Andrew Wilson, "Micky D's! Everyday!"
"Oh my God, it's McDonald's--where we always go!" says Jenny Slone.
The McDonald's on Versailles Road in Frankfort, built 35 years ago, was--to put it mildly--a popular place.
"We eat McDonald's sometimes for breakfast, sometimes for lunch, and sometimes for dinner," Slone says.
"McDonald's is my favorite place," says her husband, Stefan Slone.
But a fire destroyed the restaurant late Wednesday night. Firefighters say a heating and air unit malfunctioned. The flames were especially difficult to put out because of the freezing temperatures.
"One of the fire hydrants we wanted to use was frozen at the time, so that delayed operations a little bit," says Frankfort Batt. Fire Chief Dan Shouse.
While many customers are having to forgo their favorite fast food franchise, dozens of employees don't have a place to work.
"Now people are out of jobs--at the worst time of the year. It's sad," Slone says.
Now all that's left is just a pile of destroyed tables and chairs, windows and walls that were host to many good times.
"We got some good memories here because we would just come, sit, eat and take our time and just listen to all the people," says Slone.
For the dozens of people that worked at the McDonald's, a district supervisor says they plan to reposition those employees. They'll place them in jobs at other area McDonald's. By Thursday afternoon he said all 10 managers had been repositioned at other stores, and they were working to relocate the 60 other employees.
The dining area of the restaurant was closed when the fire broke out, but the drive-thru was open. Firefighters say the employees in the McDonald's at the time all made it out okay.
The supervisor says the restaurant will be rebuilt, bigger and more modern.