WKYT - Georgetown - Headlines

Ash from stove may have sparked fire that destroyed family's home

By: Cheryl Glassford Email
By: Cheryl Glassford Email

"I just lost my house and everything, I worked so hard to get it built," said Russell Moody.

Moody and his family are now looking for a new place to live after their three story house off Coppage Drive in Scott County caught fire.

Moody's wife and three children were not home when it started around 10 a.m. Monday.

Neighbors had discovered the home was burning.

"Looked out the window and saw how dark the sky was, immediately I thought it was going to be a bad storm," said neighbor Daniel Lemon.

But it was dark clouds of smoke - not a storm - that covered their neighborhood.

They called 9-1-1 and rushed to save what they could.

"A couple other guys arrived and we pushed the car out of the way," said Lemon.

When firefighters arrived, the home had already burned to the ground.

Moody got the call while he was on his way to an interview for an electrician job, that there was nothing left.

When firefighters told him where the fire originated, Moody says he realized it was likely caused by a bucket of ash he'd kept inside next to a wood-burning stove.

He'd left it there to avoid starting a grass fire outside.

"Just give thanks it didn't happen at night, and my family wasn't in the house," said Moody.

Donations for the family can be dropped off at Harmony Christian Church in Georgetown. The family says they are especially in need of shoes and clothing for their three sons.

Disqus has not been setup for this website.
Copyright © 2002-2015 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 106451869 - wkyt.com/a?a=106451869
Gray Television, Inc.