A family of three including an infant are in critical condition suffering from severe burns.
The family's home caught on fire during the weekend and some probably survived thanks to a neighbor who risked his own life.
Folks that live nearby say it's hard to believe anyone got out alive and if it wasn't for Michael Prophit, maybe they wouldn't have.
"Jamie was covered in blood... I could tell the baby was badly burned... People were yelling and I didn't know what to do," said Prophit.
Prophit might not have known what to do, but he followed his instincts.
He headed straight towards the flames to rescue others in the home.
"I tried to follow the lady's voice. I couldn't see anything," he said.
But he could feel her touch.
"I took off the way I came in. I think she fell down.I kept pulling her out of the trailer," said Prophit.
Once he saw Jamie and Haley Johnson suffering from burns it started to sink in what was happening.
"Her hair was all burnt. She was going into shock. I thought I was going to throw up. I thought they were going to die on the ground. I never witnessed something like that," said Prophit.
Everyone is now hoping the family survives.
Police do not know the cause of the fire.
Five people were in the home.
Some were treated for smoke inhalation.
|Report problems like potholes, broken street lights, or vandalism in Harlan County.|