WKYT - Harlan - Headlines

UPDATE: Grand Jury will hear case of man accused of attempted murder

By: Angela Sparkman Email
By: Angela Sparkman Email
More Video...

CUMBERLAND, Ky. (WYMT) - 11-19-13

A grand jury will hear the case of Harlan County man who officials say was shot during a standoff with police.

Jason Edmond has pleaded not guilty to charges of wanton endangerment and attempted murder of a police officer.

There is no word on when he will be back in court.


A Harlan County man who was shot during a standoff with police last month claims he is innocent.

State police shot Jason Wayne Edmond at his home in Cumberland when they say he pointed a gun at them.

Edmond is out of the hospital and talked to WYMT from jail.

42-year-old Jason Edmond still has gunshot wounds from October 7th. He says police shot him while he was at his home on College Road.

State police say Edmond fired the first shots. Neighbors say he shot towards their homes.

"I didn't do none of that. I'm innocent," he said.

Cumberland City Police responded first and then Kentucky State Police troopers arrived.

"Once officers along with troopers arrived at the scene, Mr. Edmond came out of his house and pointed the weapon toward the troopers, at which time the troopers fired back at Mr. Edmond," said Trooper Shane Jacobs.

Edmond spent one month in Holston Valley Medical Center in Tennessee. He was released last week and went to the Kingsport, Tennessee jail. Officials say he waived extradition and troopers brought him to the Harlan County Detention Center on Monday.

He is charged with attempted murder of a police officer and wanton endangerment of a police officer. Police say more charges are pending.

Edmond pleaded not guilty to his charges.

"At no point in time did I point a gun at the cop or nothing else," he said.

He is being held on a $100,000 bond.

A preliminary hearing is scheduled for Monday, November 18th.


A Harlan County man who officials say was shot during a standoff with police is now out of the hospital and in jail.

Kentucky State Police arrested Jason Edmond on Monday night and took him to the Harlan County Detention Center.

Police say in October, Edmond fired shots towards homes in Cumberland and then pointed the gun at police. Troopers fired back.

Edmond is charged with attempted murder of a police officer and wanton endangerment of a police officer.


The Harlan County man shot during a standoff with police on Monday is now charged with attempted murder of a Cumberland police officer and wanton endangerment of a KSP trooper. Investigators say more charges are possible.

State police say 42-year-old Jason Wayne Edmond, also known as Mark Edmonds, is still in the hospital.

Police say he randomly fired shots at homes and officers on College Road around 2:00pm on Monday.

The first Cumberland city police officers on scene say they had to seek cover.

"Yesterday's situation was probably one of the most dangerous that I've been in in my 16 and a half years experience as a law enforcement officer," said Sgt. Dale Halcomb with the Cumberland Police Department.

The Cumberland city officers also did not have bullet proof vests on during the shooting because they say they do not have enough money to buy the vests. However, the sergeant says they hope to get money to buy vests soon. They are looking for available grant money to help.

Police say Edmond has two gunshot wounds from when troopers fired back at him.

Police say he will go to jail when he is released from the hospital.


Kentucky State Police shot one man in Harlan County during a standoff on Monday afternoon.

It all happened in Cumberland on College Road.

Police say the man fired shots at houses and then aimed at Cumberland Police officers and KSP troopers. State police say the troopers then returned fire.

The man is identified as 42-year-old Jason Wayne Edmond. Police say Edmond was airlifted to Holston Valley Medical Center in Tennessee.

Neighbors on College Road say shortly before 2:00pm, gunfire started on the street.

"It was a little scary," Joyce Smith said.

Witness told police Edmond first started firing shots from a window inside his home and then came outside and shot at two homes.

"Once Cumberland Police arrived on scene, he did shoot towards their officers at the residences," said Trooper Shane Jacobs.

"The guy barricaded himself in the house and all I know I heard shots fired and I know the state trooper told us to get in the house," said Joyce Smith.

"Once the troopers arrived, he came out the front door and pointed the weapons towards the officers. They shot the subject," said Trooper Jacobs.

No one else was injured.

Now police are trying to figure out what led to the gunfire.

"It's early in the investigation. We're trying to figure out who he is, his background, why he was out in the yard with the weapon," said Trooper Jacobs.

Neighbors do not know either.

"I don't have any idea. It's just a surprise to me," said Smith.

Police have not released details on Edmond's injuries or his condition.

The names of the two troopers involved are also not released. Investigators say the troopers are on administrative leave during the investigation which is standard procedure in trooper-involved shootings.

The Southeast Community and Technical College is near the home. Cumberland Police say it was on lockdown during the shooting but there were no problems on campus. Officials lifted the lockdown after the shooting.

Disqus has not been setup for this website.
Copyright © 2002-2015 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 226831091 - wkyt.com/a?a=226831091
Gray Television, Inc.