HARLAN, Ky. (AP) - A quick-thinking McDonald's employee in Harlan has helped save the life of a 7-year-old boy.
When 21-year-old Justin Rowe heard a woman start screaming that her child was choking, he jumped into action, using the first aid training he received in high school.
Rowe told the Harlan Daily Enterprise that he used the Heimlich Maneuver on the child, which dislodged the piece of nugget (http://bit.ly/ng0uUf ).
"It just all came back to me," said Rowe. "I didn't even think about it. I just knew I had to do something and I did. There were a couple of nurses in the restaurant who assisted the young man afterwards."
Casey Dillman, who is the boy's mother, said she is thankful for Rowe's quick reaction a week ago.
"I was panicking and didn't know what to do. I really appreciate what Justin did. My son could have died and Justin saved his life."
Restaurant Manager Dawn Simpson said she that it was "phenomenal" how Rowe helped out.
"When we hire, we try to find the best customer service people we can for our front-line crew," said Simpson. "Justin went above and beyond and we're all so proud of him and what he did."