PAINTSVILLE, Ky. (WYMT)- UPDATE 7/12/13 5:30 P.M.
Sometime between eight and ten Friday morning Paintsville officials say a man's clothing began melting off inside Wal-Mart.
Paintsville Police Officer Dany Smith says, "Right now we are calling it a chemical spill. He had a bottle with chemicals in his back pocket that he apparently mixed with lithium batteries, it then began melting his clothing off."
Police say a Wal-Mart employee cleaning the restroom found the melted clothing and then notified officials. The store was evacuated at 10:45 and remained closed for several hours.
David Caudile arrived at Wal-Mart right after the evacuation and says, "We sat out here for about an hour before they let associates back in. Now, they are going to clean up and do some sweeps before they let everybody back in."
The area was declared safe around one o'clock Friday afternoon and employees were allowed back in the building. The store reopened at 1:45 to customers.
Police say the chemicals are being tested for meth making material
Caudile says, "Meth in Wal-Mart...it is bad enough outside here but bringing it in here to contaminate."
The incident remains under investigation and if you have any information on the whereabouts of this man, contact the Paintsville Police Department.
An evacuation is ongoing at the Paintsville Walmart.
Officials with the Paintsville Police Department tell us that there was a small explosion and fire in the pharmacy section of the store around 8:30 Friday morning. Officers say a man had meth making materials in his pocket that they believe reacted and caused the fire.
The store is currently closed for cleaning, and officials with Johnson County Emergency management say it will remain closed for the next several hours. Keep it with WYMT.com for the latest as this story develops.