Firefighters think a lightning strike sparked a fire that damaged several townhouses in Lexington Wednesday afternoon.
The fire broke out just before 1 p.m. Wednesday on Tradition Way, just off Hays Boulevard, in Lexington.
At one point, smoke and flames could be seen coming out of the building, which is divided into townhouses.
Firefighters think lightning struck the roof of the building, igniting a gas appliance, and sparking the fire.
No one was inside any of the units at the time. Firefighters say no one was injured.
Crews were able to rescue one very lucky dog from one of the units on fire.
"She was my first thought," said Bruce Lawrence. "I mean there are antiques and valuables in our home, but, that's just stuff. This is a very special dog."
Lawrence raced home to find his home on fire, minutes after he arrived, fire fighters reunited him with his dog, Snowy.
"It was just a relief, a huge relief," said Lawrence.
Lawrence's unit suffered the most damage. Fire officials say three other units suffered heavy smoke and water damage.