WKYT - Lexington - Headlines

Three fires prompt safety tips from fire officials

By: Wendy Enneking Email
By: Wendy Enneking Email

Fire crews in our region were busy Thursday and Friday as they responded to three different structure fires.

Two house fires in Lexington were caused by space heaters being placed too close to flammable objects. A mobile home fire in Mason County which left a 4-year-old severely burned was caused by too many electrical cords being plugged into the same outlet.

The fires in Lexington took place on Addison Avenue and on Meadowthorpe Avenue. Fire investigators say the one on Addison was caused by a blanket that came into contact with a space heater. The Meadowthorpe fire was caused by two space heaters being in close proximity to an overstuffed chair.

Fire officials say that if you're going to use space heaters, keep them at least three feet away from anything that can catch on fire. They also say to turn them off if you're not in the same room with them and when you go to bed. When it comes to other alternative heat sources, fire officials say to never use a stove or oven to heat your home and to keep generators outside.

As for plugging in those holiday decorations, fire officials say not to overload outlets.


Disqus has not been setup for this website.
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 79125487 - wkyt.com/a?a=79125487
Gray Television, Inc.