WKYT - Lexington - Headlines

Firefighters: Lexington house fire should serve as reminder

By: Mark Kennedy Email
By: Mark Kennedy Email

A fire damaged most of a Lexington home and left a UK graduate student without a place to live. It started around 7pm Monday on Press Avenue, near the UK campus. UK police officer Billy Graves was first on the scene and kicked in the front door to see if anyone was inside. Graves said when he got the door open smoke and flames consumed him, but he didn't hear anyone inside.

Firefighters went in and confirmed no one was home, but the inside had been destroyed. Investigators believe a halogen lamp may have tipped over and sparked the fire. They say this should serve as a reminder to those leaving there homes for the holidays to make sure you turn everything off.

The grad student returned home about an hour after the fire and said he is thankful to be okay and that he will be able to salvage some things.

Disqus has not been setup for this website.
Copyright © 2002-2015 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 79872017 - wkyt.com/a?a=79872017
Gray Television, Inc.