WKYT - Lexington - Headlines

Carbon monoxide victims released from hospital

By: Tamara Evans Email
By: Tamara Evans Email

They may have been saved in the nick of time! A couple is recovering tonight after the carbon monoxide levels in their home reached dangerous levels making them sick. Late this afternoon, they were released from UK Hospital.

Firefighters were called to the home on Lin-Wal drive in Lexington this morning.

Tom Smith, an Associate Minister at Shiloh Baptist Church, and his wife Paula, an active choir member at the church, were rushed to UK Hospital for carbon monoxide poisoning after fire officials say levels got too high in the home due to a pipe being loose in the furnace.

Church members and friends of the Smith's say they've visited the couple throughout the day at the hospital who they say are improving and are just ready to get back home.

"Absolutely. If he has his way he'll be back tonight, but we're praying for him to take his time and have a good recovery. I spoke with both of them. I had prayer with them and both were taking turns in the chamber to detox their lungs", says Pastor Joseph Owens with Shiloh Baptist Church.

For much of the day the two were in serious condition at UK Hospital. They were released to go home late this afternoon. Repairs to their furnace have already been made so that they can return home.

Lexington fire officials have tips to keep you safe from carbon monoxide poisoning. They say it's important to make sure you have a carbon monoxide alarm in your home. You should test it once a month and if it ever goes off, move to a place with fresh air and call for help.

Disqus has not been setup for this website.
Copyright © 2002-2015 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 81274032 - wkyt.com/a?a=81274032
Gray Television, Inc.