A woman went to court today to answer to allegations her home was so dirty it was a health hazard.
Police say Betty Wilson was taking care of a disabled brother in the Shawnee Avenue home.
At today's preliminary hearing, Lexington Police detective Chris Russell testified that once he was inside Betty Wilson's home, he had to exit out a window because the front door wouldn't open more than ten inches. He says human waste was in containers throughout the home.
"There were cups, 32 oz cups sitting around, that had a liquid in them that appeared to be urine," said Detective Russell.
Wilson's developmentally disabled brother lived in the home with her, and police say those conditions led to the charge of neglect. They say refuse was piled on the floor, raising it.
"My head actually hit the ceiling fan multiple times. There are places I stepped that I had to bend down to keep from hitting my head on the ceiling."
The home hasn't had running water for about two years. Wilson's attorney said that while the home was dirty, the conditions weren't criminal. The judge refused to drop the charges and sent the case on to the grand jury.
The home has been declared unsafe by code enforcement.