WKYT - Lexington - Headlines

Family escapes burning home

Unattended food on a stove likely sparked a fire that damaged a home.

The fire started just before 11 on Wilton Avenue in Lexington.
A woman living in the home told firefighters she was cooking french fries for her four year old. She says she left the kitchen to check on some laundry, and that when she returned there was a fire.

The woman received a minor burn to her hand trying to remove the pan from the stove. She called 911 and within moments the fire department arrived to put out the fire.

The woman and her children were able to get out of the home safely. Family members say they hope this will be lesson to others.

"Stick to one thing when you're cooking.... I'm feeling lucky that my family is okay. Christmas is still in tact. Just minor damage here," said Lawona Brown, the grandmother of the little boy.


Disqus has not been setup for this website.
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 136232148 - wkyt.com/a?a=136232148