Lexington Firefighters were called to a motel fire early Thursday to fight a fire.
The Sunset Motel on Georgetown Road near Iron Works Pike went up in flames with people sleeping inside, and firefighters say a van that caught fire started it all.
Fire crews embarked on the Sunset Motel early Thursday morning. Smoke was shooting from the building, and the fire was quickly spreading from room to room.
A van parked outside is to blame.
"When firefighters arrived the van had heavy fire and smoke, and it extended to the structure," says Maj. Phil Buettner, with the Lexington Fire Department.
Firefighters say someone had just parked the van, then some sort of mechanical issue sparked the fire.
Sunset Motel has no sprinkler system, so firefighters' attempts to extinguish the flames were the first.
"About eight rooms were damaged by fire, and then probably a couple more other than that were damaged by smoke," Maj. Buettner says.
A huge mess and extensive damage is left behind for the motel owners to repair. In the midst of it all, no one was hurt.